Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Status: Exempt
Date Posted: July 07, 2014
Manages Product Development program designed to ensure continuous production and/or improvement of new and existing products, as well as products in test, consistent with established standards by performing the following duties.
• Leads, inspires and develops the R&D Product Development team.
• Leads product commercialization working with operations to insure product can be made in store.
• Plans and organizes the work of the R&D team for assigned categories including the work of several concurrent projects.
• Communicates project status, timelines and roadblocks to new product team, supervisor, leadership team, franchisees in a clear, concise, timely and consistent fashion.
• Fully leverages all inside and outside supplier/consultant resources to develop and execute new product ideas and programs.
• Directs self, team and outside resources toward meaningful innovations.
• Directs new product integration across all segments of the business.
• Works with the Director of Category Marketing, taking direction and providing technical expertise.
• Researches and catalogs new ideas, inspiration from other chains, trends, replacing problem ingredients in existing recipes, and creating new ideas for inventory. Oversees the study of competitive products that may be in direct competition with Papa Murphy’s.
• Manages and conducts new product research including but not limited to assembling new product concepts in-store for baking off in test kitchen, sampling new products and setting up and gathering focus group data and opinions on proposed new products.
• Works with Business Services to prepare material for training of new product production procedures.
• Observes production of new products to determine if there are operations/labor issues that may be barriers to new product implementation during in-store real time situations.
• Provides information to the Operations and Training Departments about effectiveness of new product operations and production procedures through in-store observations and tests.
• Coordinates with store operations team in test markets for new products to orient them to operational changes and observe reactions to relay to the system. Makes recommendations on the best way to prepare crew and store management for operational changes.
• Works with Operations team, Business Services and Supply Chain Management to ensure that product specifications are adhered to and result in the desired quality in the finished product. Interacts with vendor partners as needed.
• Participates in specification tests on new and existing products and store operations procedures.
• Oversees and coordinates Franchise Advisory Board, Board of Directors, Executive lunches and other PMI food functions, providing an opportunity to test new products. Also, responsible for Taster’s Club tasting events. Host vendors and assist in showing new products and ideas.
• Serves as a back up to Quality Assurance Manager.
Education: High School diploma or GED. College degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum 3 years experience as a Product Development Manager in Quick Service or Casual Dining segment.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: ServSafe® certification Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrates accommodating manner through the skill of empathy.
• An active listener.
• Able to embrace the PMI culture.
• Self motivated with can do attitude.
• Team player with a positive outlook
• Must be able to stand on a hard surface for long periods of time.
• Able to regularly lift and/or move 25-30 pounds.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, and kneel.
• Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms.
• Approaches challenges from a problem-solving perspective.
• Ability to maintain positive relationships with vendors, franchisees and staff.
• Ability to reason and make sound decisions.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
• Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint • Ability to travel by air and ground for business purposes.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required in this position and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.