Construction Project Manager
Location: Vancouver, WA
Reports To: Sr. Dir. Construction & Design
Job Status: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Date Posted: February 04, 2014
This job contributes to Papa Murphy’s success by providing planning, project management and financial oversight in new store or renovation construction projects while maintaining the highest standards of excellence. Manage the construction process so that projects are completed on time and under budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Educate franchise owners on Papa Murphy’s construction processes. Introduce franchise owners to the Web-based tools and guide them through the steps to plan, permit and build their stores.
- Develop and manage budgets consistent with timeline requirements for medium to large-scale new store development or renovation projects. Develops scope of work consistent with operation needs and budget allowances. Oversees region scheduling, bid negotiations and consultant relationships.
- Manage and monitor project schedules within budget guidelines, progress and costs to ensure projects are completed on time and effectively. Maintains, adjusts and updates project plans as needed. Consolidates, communicates and manages all issues and risks affecting the project. Communicates project status to project participants and stakeholders accurately and on time.
- Manage the construction phase of the development process. Prepares possession of tenant spaces according to company guidelines. Monitor general contractor and vendor performance during construction build-out phase. Maintain established construction schedules to allow store to open on time.
- Oversee ordering and tracking of materials and equipment. Visit job regularly to perform due diligence and monitor quality. Address concerns and maintains consistent follow-up on any outstanding issues.
- Manage the permitting and approval phase of the development process and ensures all proper approvals have been received prior to initiate possession or construction phase.
- Oversee and maintains relationships with external professionals and consultants.
- Oversee contractor and vendor performance during construction phase through site visits and report review. Maintains relationships with jurisdictions and planning commissions to ensure seamless store openings.
- Oversee bidding process and contract negotiations. Ensures company’s contract policies are followed. Maintains and monitors active General Contractor (GC) pool for adequate number, quality of workmanship and service level.
- Supports development efforts by working closely with other departments to determine more effective processes and tools.
- Support Development and Operations goals by participating and contributing in planning and strategy meetings for the market. Plans and manages construction processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Work with other departments to improve processes and tools in support of capital renovations, capital initiative execution, and maintenance of existing stores.
Education: Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
Experience: 5+ years experience as a general contractor, sub-contractor or corporate construction role. Prefer prior restaurant construction experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: Construction Engineering Management, Contractor License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage others.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly in a rapidly-changing environment.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex projects for national retail or restaurant industry.
- Ability to negotiate.
- Business analysis skills, with the ability to see implications and provide consultative solutions and recommendations.
- Knowledge of construction systems.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships across all levels.
- Strong knowledge of commercial evaluation metrics.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Working knowledge with Uniform Building Codes and Building Officials Code Administration
- Knowledge of AutoCAD R-14 and ability to learn new applications.
- Knowledge of applicable departmental or business unit practices and requirements.
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite programs (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) as well as Outlook.
- Must be able to travel, by air and car, for business purposes.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required in this position and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. To apply for this position, please email us as email@example.com.